NISR is seeking to fill the following position for a Case Recoding Specialist in the York, PA area. All interested candidates should email their Cover Letter and Resume to Paula Tennant-Lantz.
Job Title: Case Recoding Specialist
Department/Group: Recode/Backlog Program
Location: York, PA
Travel Required: Minimal
Position Type: Full Time
Supervised By: Case Coding/Recoding Supervisor
Supervise Others: No
Role and Responsibilities:
This position supports the Case Coding/Recoding Program, as part of the overall Quality Control of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) and the Crash Report Sampling System (CRSS). The principal responsibility of this position is the interpretation, coding, and entry of motor vehicle traffic crash data in support of the FARS and CRSS programs. Duties may include:
- Analyze traffic collisions to determine details such as impact points and angles of collision, sequence of crash events, safety-related issues, and injuries in combination with crash circumstances.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of the American National Standard for the Manual on the Classification of Motor Vehicle Traffic Crashes (ANSI D16) to analyze cases and to determine if a case meets specifications to be included in FARS and/or CRSS.
- Interpret various source documents related to crash investigations, including police traffic crash reports, police crash reconstruction reports, driver and vehicle records, Emergency Medical Services (EMS) reports, Medical Examiner and Coroner reports, toxicology reports (BAC and drug), roadway data, maps and interchange drawings, and death certificates.
- Interpret and code over 100 different elements per case using the FARS/CRSS Coding and Validation Manual, Federal Highway Administration Roadway Classifications, vehicle make, model, and body type information, and other source documents.
- Produce State Specific Reports (SSRs) conveying comparison data analysis for their assigned states and identify points of correction in the original state field coding.
- Possible analytical duties for preparation of training materials related to information obtained through or supported by the Recode program.
- Serve as a backup analyst to states and vendors requiring backlog coding assistance.
- Various other duties as assigned related to the fulfillment of traffic safety tasks in NISR contracts.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Associate’s degree.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, Google Drive)
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to understand and interpret data standards and definitions
- Ability to work with sensitive and sometimes graphic subject material
- Ability to work with a team
- Ability to organize and to multitask
- Upon hiring, this position will receive adequate specialized training to fulfill the required duties which may or may not require travel to participate in the training classes, at no cost to the employee.
- This position will work 40 hours per week (Monday through Friday).
- Employment is contingent on the candidate passing a U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) background check because of access to sensitive data. Failure to successfully pass a DOT background check may affect hiring. The DOT background check will be performed at no cost to the candidate.